Below are a list of recent publications from our laboratory. Also included are a list of Dr Sved’s additional recent publications.
Development of novel treatments for advanced form of prostate cancer
1) Chetcuti A, Margan S, Russell P, Mann S, Handelsman D, Rogers J and Dong Q. Annexin II, a marker for prostate cancer and its precursors. Cancer Res 61:6331-4, 2001
Reported the silencing of Annexin II, an endogenous phospholipase A2 inhibitor, in prostate cancer tissue and possible mechanism for the silencing.
2) Sved P, Scott KF, McLeod D, King NJC, Singh J, Tsatralis T, Nikolov B, Bolus J, Nallan L, Gelb MH, Sajinovic M, Russell PJ, and Dong Q. Oncogenic action of secreted phospholipase A2 in prostate cancer. Cancer Res 64:6934-40, 2004
Provided evidence that secreted phospholipase A2 expression increases in hormone refractory prostate cancer tissues and the potential of targeting this form of phospholipase A2.
3) Patel MI, Singh J, Niknami M Kurek C, Yao M, Lu S, Maclean F, King NJC, Gelb MH, Scott KF, Russell PJ, Boulas J, and Dong Q. Cytosolic phospholipase A2-a: A potential therapeutic target for prostate cancer. Clin Cancer Res 14:8070-9, 2008
Examined the cytosolic form of phospholipase A2 and provide evidence that this is a better target for treating prostate cancer.
4) Dong Q, Patel M, Scott K, G Graham, Russell P and Sved P. Annexin and phospholipase A2 in prostate cancer. Cancer Letters, 240:9-16, 2006
5) Niknami M., Patel M., Witting P.K., and Dong Q. Cytosolic Phospholipase A2. Int. J. Biochem. Cell. Biol. 41(5):994-7, 2008
6) Patel M, Kurek C, and Dong Q. The arachidonic acid pathway and its role in prostate cancer development and progression. J Urol, 179:1668,2008
The above 3 papers provided evidence for the significance the arachidonic signaling pathway in prostate cancer and justification of targeting phospholipase A2 for treatment.
7) Assinder, S., Dong, Q., Kovacevic, Z. and Richardson, D.R. (2009) The AKT, PTEN and TGF-? pathways: Establised and proposed biochemical integration in prostate cancer. Biochem. J. 2009 417(2):411-21.
The above paper included the hypothesis how phospholipase A2 interact with oncogenic an tumour suppressive pathways.
Development of novel prevention strategy for patients on Active surveillance
8) Singh J, Xie C, Yao M, Hua S, Vignarajan S, Jardine G, Hambly BD, Sved P, Dong Q. Food Extracts Consumed in Mediterranean Countries and East Asia Reduce Protein Concentrations of Androgen Receptor, Phospho-Protein Kinase B, and Phospho-Cytosolic Phospholipase A2 in Human prostate Cancer Cells. J Nutrition, (online on Feb 24, 2010)
With the ultimate aim of developing a food-based chemoprevention strategy to retard cancer progression in these otherwise healthy men, the team has tested a blend of food extracts developed by an Australian company in Queensland (Dr Red). The food extracts decreased prostate cancer cell growth and key signaling pathways in vitro and in vivo.
Additional research papers by Dr Paul Sved
1.Sved PD, Morgan M.K. and Weber N. Delayed referral of patients with aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage. Medical Journal of Australasia 1995; 162: 310.
2.Sved PD, Peck N. and Smith R. Laparoscopic diagnosis and management of foramen of Winslow and other intra-abdominal herniae. Minimally Invasive Therapy 1996; 5: 575.
3.Sved PD, Siddall P.J. and Cousins M.J. Relationship between surgery and pain report after spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord 1997; 35: 526.
4.Gomez P, Manoharan M, Sved PD, Kim SS, Soloway MS. Radical retropubic prostatectomy in Hispanic patients. Cancer 2004; 100(8): 1628.
5.Sved PD, Gomez P, Manoharan M, Kim SS, Soloway MS. Limitations of biopsy Gleason grade: Implications for counseling patients with biopsy Gleason score 6 prostate cancers. Journal of Urology 2004; 172(1): 98.
6.Sved PD, Manoharan M, Gomex P, Soloway MS. Review: Small cell carcinoma of the bladder. BJU International 2004; 94(1): 12.
7.Manoharan M, Gomez P, Sved PD, Soloway MS. Modified Pfannensteil approach for radical retropubic prostatectomy. Urology 2004; 64: 369.
8.Sved PD, Scott KF, McLeod D, King NJC, Singh J, Tsatralis T, Nikolov B, Boulas J, Nallan L, Gelb MH, Sajinovic M, Graham G, Russell PJ, Dong Q. Oncogenic action of secreted Phospholipase A2 in Prostate Cancer. Cancer Research 2004 Oct 1;64(19): 6934.
9.Sved PD, Gomez P, Nieder AM, Manoharan M, Soloway MS. Upper tract tumor following radical cystectomy for transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder BJU International 2004; 94(6): 785.
10.Nieder AM, Sved PD, Gomex P, Kim SS, Soloway MS. Urethral recurrence following cystoprostatectomy: Implications for urinary diversion and monitoring. Urology 2004; 64(5): 950-4.
11.Samra JS, Sved P, Sullivan D, Hugh TJ, Smith RC. Lipid metabolism in omental adipose tissue during operative surgery(1). J Surg Res 2005; 124(1): 23-8.
12.Sved PD, Nieder AM, Manoharan M, Kim SS, Soloway MS. Evaluation of analgesic requirements and postoperative recovery after radical retropubic prostatectomy utilizing long acting spinal anesthesia. Urology 2005; 65(3): 509-12.
13.Nieder AM, Sved PD, Manoharan M, Gomez P, Kim SS, Soloway MS. Intraoperative cell salvage during radical prostatectomy is not associated with a higher rate of biochemical recurrence. Urology 2005; 65(4): 730-4.
14.Nieder AM, Sved PD, Stein JP, Soloway MS. Radical cystoprostatectomy and orthotopic ileal neobladder for the management of BCG ñ induced bladder contractures. Urology 2005; 65(5): 909-12.
15.Oosterlinck W, Solsona E, Akaza H, Busch C, Goebell PJ, Malmstrom PU, Ozen H, Sved PD. Low-grade Ta (noninvasive) urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. Urology 2005; 66(6): 75-89.
16.Sved PD, Boulas J. Bladder cancer: Assessment and management. Medicine Today 2006; 7(6): 16-24.
17. Yao M, Taylor RA, Richards MG, Sved PD, Wong J, Eisinger D, Xie A, Salomon R, Risbridger GP, Dong Q. Prostate-regenerating capacity of cultured human adult prostate epithelial cells. Cells Tissues Organs 2010; 191(3): 203-12.
18. Niknami M, Vignarajan S, Yao M, Hua S, Kita Y, Shimizu, T, Sved PD, Patel MI, Dong Q. Decrease in expression or activity of cytosolic Phospholipase A2 increases cyclooxygenase 1 action: A cross-talk between key enzymes in the Arachidonic Acid pathway in prostate cancer cells. Molecular abd Cell biology of Lipids 2010 In Press.